Updated Sep 14th, 2012
What Is This Site
Everything on this site is automatically synced from the text files on my laptop.
Throughout the day I update these files with notes about tools, philosophies, and theory as I come across them.
Now I can share my daily knowledge — getting greater value out of something I already do every day — with no extra time spent on updating a website.
I don't think we really get how much we don't share because the barrier to doing so is higher than it needs to be. 3 inches of height in a flood barrier can make the difference between containment and deluge.
Why do this?
I believe that people who do and create must share their thoughts, knowledge, and methods, with other creators. As a group we can help each other overcome obstacles and build great things. We are creating a movement, and out of many different niches, identities, and motives we are creating a unified community.
This is my way of adding to the community of DoerCreators.
Why not a blog?
I have a blog, but blogs are more about thoughts. I have a thought, I create a blog post and try to coalesce that thought into a solid tangible thing that I can put out into the world. This site is more about life themes, and subjects. They are collections that both grow as I learn more, and shrink as I organize and simplify. A blog by nature does not seek to shrink and simplify, it just grows.
Behind the Scenes
The following is more for maintaining my focus than anything else.
- Total Transparency
- Clarify my process and philosophy by making it public
- Make sharing my knowledge a part of my daily accumulation of it
- Provide a model for others to do the same
- Instead of creating content for others, create content that's valuable for yourself
- Keeping this content in sync with the world must not be a separate process from creating it.
- Deadsimple, seamless integration. Zero obstacles towards sharing.
- Should place nicely with other similar note taking application. Everything should talk to each other.
- The ideas section
- The current projects section
- make it responsive, bootstrap style
In the future
- Ideas and current projects should be displayed prominently, with screenshots of the video or web work featured
- Tech articles should be on their own page, not first order stuff at all.
- Tech Articles (with top 5 recently updated notes underneith)
- Current technology should be on one seperate page
- Make first level headers the way to go.
- I need to figure out what this site is most useful for.
- create an api so that the doercreator network can talk to all note taking
- the doercreator network
- a social network for people with ideas
- integrated feeds. See a stream of all the good ideas that are happening in your network.
- convert to restful api
- using api, allow quizzes based on notes
- use yaml for everything
- make images easy to upload
- make not found a part of the text file system
- add favicon
- create a tight nit group of doer creators to promote sharing among people work on similar stuff
- make it so anyone can start a DoerCreator "seed", and sharing facts on the same subject becomes seamless
- a comment system that generates a notepad icon next to headers.. allowing you to comment without distracting from content
- separate file names from urls to allow file organization without creating confusing urls
The Doer Creator Network
- A social network that you never update
- A social network that doesn't waste your time
A work in progress
Unlike other websites, this site will never be "done." It is updated daily, hourly, with bits and pieces that probably won't all be coherent. Things will be constantly rearranged to feel right.
Please tweet at me if you have suggestions for how I can make it more useful to you!
Testimonials for the Site
"..it's like lightning!" - Rabia
This site is powered by Codeigniter